Approximately one third of signatories have less than US$2bn of assets under management, which brings challenges when they agree to sign up to the PRI. The PRI has a specific work stream dedicated to developing very practical implementation support tools for signatories who may be resource-constrained.
About the work stream
The work stream has recently published a tool for asset owners to provide guidance on how to integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations in manager selection, agreements and monitoring. It has also produced guidance on how to write a responsible investment policy and how to communicate the business case for responsible investment.
In addition to joining the work stream, signatories can also get involved in the mentoring programme, which facilitates shared learning about how to integrate ESG issues.
Resources listed may require PRI signatory extranet access.
- Aligning Expectations: Guidance for Asset Owners on incorporating ESG factors into manager selection, appointment and monitoring (February 2013)
- Writing a responsible investment policy: Guidance for asset owners (September 2011)
- Implementation of the PRI by small and resource constrained investors (June 2011)
- Responsible Investment in passive management strategies (January 2011)
In 2010 the PRI published a series of case studies on faith-based investors which cover topics that are also relevant for mainstream investors:
- The Central Church Fund of Finland: Developing RI activities through a dedicated project
- Church of Sweden: Creating mutual funds with responsible investment criteria
- Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility (ICCR): Collaboration on engagements through a membership organisation
- RRSE: Assisting small funds with engagements
- Church Investors Group: Setting up local investor organisations
- How can small AOs be responsible investors in pooled funds? (May 10 2012)
- How to take effective first steps as a responsible investor (November 2011)
- Meeting the challenge of reporting effectively on implementation of the Principles (April 2011)
- Collaboration on shareholder engagements (August 2010)
Previous PRI in Person sessions
- Implementing the Principles with limited resources (September 2011)
- Cost matters: what resources are needed for responsible investment implementation? (October 2010)
WORK STREAM MANAGER