- LOCATION: London
- BASIS: Full-time
- LEVEL: Specialist
- SALARY: £48,000-£58,000 p.a
The Senior Communications Specialist will work closely with the PRI Head of Press – who the role reports to – on PRI’s media engagement activities globally. This will include interacting with agencies PRI works with, and proactively seeking opportunities for PRI’s CEO, leadership team, content specialists and signatory relations team in the media. This role will also build, own and manage an internal library of PRI collateral (talking points, key messages, template slides, etc.) for use by all PRI staff. This role will also manage production of the quarterly deck produced for signatories highlighting PRI’s activity.
- Work closely with the Head of Press on PRI’s overall global media engagement strategy – and the tactical execution of that strategy.
- Work closely with the CEO’s office on media engagement for the CEO, including optimising the travel calendar for media interviews.
- Proactively work with Content specialists and relevant Signatory Relations team members on media engagement.
- Work closely with agencies employed by PRI on media execution.
- Help profile PRI events in the media including PRI Forums and PRI in Person.
- Oversee PRI’s media contacts database and press clippings.
- Own, maintain and develop a library of PRI collateral (talking points, key messages, template slides, etc)
- Manage the production of the quarterly SRM book working closely with content teams, signatory relations, and a PRI designer on the deck.
- Be an integral part of PRI’s communications team, pitch in on communications activities as needed.
- Proactively offers impartial specialist knowledge, insights or input
- Uses business/ specialist knowledge and analysis to identify issues, applying fact-based insight to develop and evaluate solutions or solve issues
- Maintains a professional and impartial stance in assessing all information which feeds into decision making
- Balances rigour with pragmatism in conducting analyses that are fit for purpose
- Effectively reviews and quality-checks all analyses
- Focuses on maximising Signatory or operational value and driving PRI outcomes
- Actively keeps up-to-date with developments both within the organisation and within area of specialism
- Balances the internal needs of the PRI and that of Signatory Organisations to deliver outputs
- Understands how own area of specialism drives value to the PRI and meets its mission
- Builds consensus and trust with all that engage with
- Is responsive to feedback proactively following up to ensure any issues are resolved
- Where requested, engages with colleagues to gain a broader understanding of issues and seeks to respond to or resolve them
- Provides specialist knowledge and insights to colleagues where requested
- Translates specialist information or provides technical expertise in a clear and understandable format
- Clarifies matters by absorbing and understanding relevant information and feeding them back in concise terms
- Uses effective listening and questioning to enhance understanding of complex issues
- Engages the recipient using their language, tailoring communication style for the audience
- Actively seeks opportunities to enhance specialist knowledge/ experience
- Constantly reviews own work with the aim of improving outputs
- Applies knowledge or experience to question practices and suggest alternatives
- Actively seeks and shares feedback wherever possible, as a means of improvement
- Uses best practice identified through external networks or evolutions in the field of specialism
- Has a strong sense of execution and delivery, working to agreed deadlines, involving relevant colleagues and allowing enough time for review and quality assurance
- Regularly monitors and reports on progress of work, providing regular updates as appropriate
- Takes a methodical approach to how specialist or technical knowledge is acquired and, distributed (where necessary)
- Captures knowledge at the end of each project/ process/activity, to use and share
Technical Comptencies & Experience:
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Media relations experience ideally global or across regions
- Ideally experience working with PR agencies (desirable, not essential)
- Able to build relationships internally and externally quickly
- Excellent attention to detail
- Highly organised with the ability to juggle competing demands
- IT/system skills (Microsoft Office (PowerPoint in particular), SharePoint, social media, webcasts, etc.)
- A collaborative and consultative approach to working with others, able to take ownership of challenges or complaints and see them through to resolution.
- Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills.