- LOCATION: London
- BASIS: Permanent
- LEVEL: Senior specialist
- SALARY: £58,000 - £68,000 p.a. depending on experience
The PRI is committed to producing high quality publications across an increasing breadth of topics, to support its growing signatory base in implementing RI policies and practices, and to promote leadership and change in the RI industry. This new role will help us take that to a new level.
The role will sit in the PRI’s growing team of responsible investment specialists, which works with the PRI’s editorial and design teams to produce responsible investment content – in the form of tools (such as DDQs), practical guides, topical reports, case studies and articles – for leading and entry-level PRI signatories, as well as the wider investment market. Adding a close understanding of how institutional investors consume content to the PRI’s publishing operation, the role will be pivotal in improving the impact, quality and consistency of PRI content, by working with subject matter experts (including external consultants) and editorial and design specialists. The role will report to the Director of Responsible Investment Programmes who is responsible for establishing and operating programme management and delivery of PRI content.
- Provide insight into the most effective channels, formats and styles for institutional investors to consume content in, across a wide range of asset classes, investment practices and ESG issues.
- Set and uphold high standards and expectations for PRI’s responsible investment publications – by reviewing publications and providing detailed guidance and feedback to subject matter experts – thus acting as a strong quality assurance function over publications’ suitability for an institutional investor audience.
- Act as a trusted advisor to subject matter experts and become an integral and invaluable part of the content delivery process – providing guidance on audience needs, content development, ongoing internal and external review and approvals.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to more junior members of the team, including sharing technical knowledge and expertise where appropriate.
- Work closely with PRI’s in-house editorial and design specialists to further develop clear templates for publication types, and guidance on the overall publication process.
- Help to reinforce guidance from the editorial team on publication messaging, structure, presentation and a clear and engaging writing style.
- Work with editorial and design teams to increase use of effective and accurate infographics and data visualisations.
- Work with editorial and digital staff to inform ongoing learning and continual improvement by gathering quantitative and qualitative audience insights from PRI signatories and other relevant audiences.
PRI expects roles at a ‘Senior Specialist level’ within the organisation to demonstrate skills across the following core competencies:
- Looks for opportunities to add value by sharing specialist knowledge and insights
- Broadens the view to consider all possible options even if they initially seem unlikely solutions
- Can effectively capture and structure ill-defined or vague problems and is comfortable handling uncertainty (in own work and that of team members)
- Considers examples outside of the PRI in offering alternative solutions or guidance
- Demonstrates an understanding of the business, including its finances, mission and its culture
- Identifies and utilises key relationships (both internal and external) for successful execution of project or piece of work
- Knows when and how to challenge senior managers
- Applies industry knowledge and understanding of external influences, coupled with an appreciation of PRI mission and strategy to inform decisions
- Demonstrates ability to build good working relationships at all levels
- Drives collaboration within projects or work programmes to deliver high quality outputs
- Aligns expectations with senior managers to reach agreement
- Promotes knowledge sharing across the organisation
- Flexes style and approach based on colleagues’ level of understanding and preferences
- Independently delivers well-structured, logical outputs that deliver maximum impact with minimum editing
- Presents advice or recommendations within the context of the recipient’s area of focus to gain buy-in
- Improves the knowledge of senior managers by making complex specialist principles easy to understand
- Appreciates the impact of their communication on others, modifying behaviour and communication style to work in different situations
- Shares specialist knowledge openly with others, creating opportunities for others to learn, grow and succeed
- Builds an environment within the PRI which values forward thinking, creative solutions and innovation
- Is active in specialist networks as a means of furthering own knowledge and applying at the PRI
- Uses good questioning skills in a way that causes others to think about their approach
- Prioritises where contributes own time based on the value it would deliver
- Uses project management and oversight of individual work processes to improve organisational performance
- Continuously monitors external developments to incorporate into own work activities
- Translates project objectives into own work plans
Technical competencies & experience:
- Significant work experience in an investment organisation or consultancy. This role would suit someone who has prior experience as an investment writer.
- Demonstrated sound judgement, and ability to understand the needs of an institutional investor audience and how that audience consumes content.
- Sound knowledge of investment practice across asset classes and proven ability to produce high quality products for an investor audience. Where the applicant lacks direct experience of a particular asset classes or issue, an ability to learn quickly.
- Proven capability to communicate ideas and data through powerful infographics.
- Working alongside subject experts, a proven ability to transform high level concepts or ideas into excellent deliverable, structured content targeted at an investor audience.
- Strong writing skills, for print and digital, with a record of either overseeing or delivering content to an investor audience.
- A collaborative and consultative approach to working with others, including at a senior level.
- Experience in juggling a varied and busy workload and prioritising multiple requests.
- Language skills, other than English, are desirable.