- LOCATION: London, UK
- BASIS: 12 month FTC with possibility of extension
- SALARY: £40,000 - £50,000
- CLOSING DATE: 5:00pm, 29th Nov 2020 GMT (Europe/London)
Stewardship is one of the most powerful mechanisms by which investors and their agents can contribute to the achievement of the PRI’s mission: the creation of a sustainable financial system which benefits the environment and society as a whole. The role is an exciting opportunity to contribute to work that will encourage and enable PRI signatories to fully realise the potential of stewardship to drive real-world outcomes on topics including climate change and the SDGs.
This role will primarily support the PRI’s stewardship activities on climate change, with a particular focus on the Climate Action 100+. CA100+ is an investor initiative to ensure the world’s largest corporate greenhouse gas emitters take necessary action on climate change to align their businesses with a net-zero emissions world.
The role will report into the Head of Stewardship, Climate Change who oversees the PRI’s activities on CA100+.
- Support coordination of the PRI CA100+ Global Engagement Working Group, which includes 40 companies in North America, Europe, Latin America and Africa across a range of sectors (Aviation, Chemicals, Construction & Heavy Industrials, Consumer Products & Paper/Timber, Energy, Mining and Shipping).
- Manage and/or contribute to other CA100+ initiative-wide projects (as needed), such as benchmarking, sector work/research, signatory accountability, webinars, progress report, etc.
- Convene and facilitate regular engagement group meetings/calls to track the progress of engagements, discuss issues and share information.
- Facilitate the CA100+’s periodic reporting processes, in conjunction with the other networks, to ensure investor accountability.
- Work to identify and implement improvements to collaborative engagement processes, including shareholder resolutions and proxy voting.
- Contribute on an ad hoc basis to projects relating to the Active Ownership 2.0 programme and to PRI’s work on addressing system barriers to effective stewardship.
- Conduct and/or disseminate relevant company/sector research, guidance, and other analysis for investors to use in company engagements both within and beyond CA100+.
- Work closely with other PRI climate engagement staff to ensure that various initiatives (both inside and outside of the CA100+) are aligned and coordinated.
- Build relationships with investors to maintain and expand expertise of engagement practices, best practices and needs.
- Speak publicly at events, both digital and in person, on CA100+, stewardship and the PRI’s work more generally.
- Proactively offers impartial specialist knowledge, insights or input
- Uses business/ specialist knowledge and analysis to identify issues, applying fact-based insight to develop and evaluate solutions or solve issues
- Maintains a professional and impartial stance in assessing all information which feeds into decision making
- Balances rigour with pragmatism in conducting analyses that are fit for purpose
- Effectively reviews and quality-checks all analyses
Focuses on maximising Signatory or operational value and driving PRI outcomes
- Actively keeps up to date with developments both within the organisation and within area of specialism
- Balances the internal needs of the PRI and that of Signatory Organisations to deliver outputs
- Understands how own area of specialism drives value to the PRI and meets its mission
- Builds consensus and trust with all that engage with
- Is responsive to feedback proactively following up to ensure any issues are resolved
- Where requested, engages with colleagues to gain a broader understanding of issues and seeks to respond to or resolve them
- Provides specialist knowledge and insights to colleagues where requested
- Translates specialist information or provides technical expertise in a clear and understandable format
- Clarifies matters by absorbing and understanding relevant information and feeding them back in concise terms
- Uses effective listening and questioning to enhance understanding of complex issues
- Engages the recipient using their language, tailoring communication style for the audience
- Actively seeks opportunities to enhance specialist knowledge/ experience
- Constantly reviews own work with the aim of improving outputs
- Applies knowledge or experience to question practices and suggest alternatives
- Actively seeks and shares feedback wherever possible, as a means of improvement
- Uses best practice identified through external networks or evolutions in the field of specialism
- Has a strong sense of execution and delivery, working to agreed deadlines, involving relevant colleagues and allowing enough time for review and quality assurance
- Regularly monitors and reports on progress of work, providing regular updates as appropriate
- Takes a methodical approach to how specialist or technical knowledge is acquired and, distributed (where necessary)
- Captures knowledge at the end of each project/ process/activity, to use and share
Technical competencies & experience:
- Investor and/or company engagement experience: good knowledge of responsible investment and understanding of asset owner and investment manager perspectives is preferred.
- Experience of working on climate change and/or environment related issues is preferred. Regional and/or sector knowledge relevant to the PRI CA100+ Global Group (see job description above) is also beneficial.
- Excellent project management skills, with ability to multi-task, prioritise and manage multiple timelines. Experiences of report writing is beneficial.
- Strong facilitation skills. Diplomacy, tact, and ability to build consensus.
- Good networking, relationship management and interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence a diverse range of stakeholders from varying cultures and backgrounds.
- Practical experience in investment management or related industry is advantageous.
- A collaborative and consultative approach to working with others, committed to fostering an inclusive working environment.
- Good knowledge of relevant IT (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint and CRM software).
- Excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills.
- Fluent English. Other languages relevant to financial markets desirable.
- Willingness and ability to travel, including internationally.