Options for action in Hong Kong SAR, China
Explore national regulatory clarification
- The Hong Kong government could investigate clarifying the Securities and Futures Ordinance and the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance to ensure collective investment schemes and MPF schemes take account of ESG issues, encourage high standards in investee companies and report on how they are doing so.
Expand green finance
- The government could develop comprehensive policies to support green finance, including implementing the recommendations made in the Financial Services Development Council’s Green Finance Working Group report.
Ensure the effective implementation of the Principles of Responsible Ownership
- The Securities and Futures Commission could work with the investment industry to ensure the effective implementation of the Principles of Responsible Ownership.
Enhance corporate disclosure
- The Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the Securities and Futures Commission could analyse and report on the disclosures being provided by listed companies and could work together to improve the quality of these disclosures.
- The Securities and Futures Commission, the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority, the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the investment industry could work together to support high-quality academic research into ESG issues.
Download the full report
Produced in collaboration with UNEP FI and Generation Foundation