This snapshot explores responsible investment practices for externally managed assets. It paints a picture of historical practices among our global signatory base. It is an online tool that provides public access to key elements of data from PRI’s annual signatory reporting. Each snapshot records data on a specific area of activity.
This snapshot focuses entirely on how asset owners select, appoint, and monitor their third party investment managers based on the latter’s capabilities, approach, and activities regarding ESG incorporation and active ownership.
It highlights questions, such as:
- How the asset allocation strategy differs between pensions and insurances?
- How much is invested in emerging markets?
- What the most common policy components are?
- What documents asset owners evaluate as part of manager selection?
- What criteria are used to monitor managers?
- How many asset owners are setting incentives and controls as part of appointment?
- The degree to which asset owners are willing to move their assets to managers with better RI practices?
Other reports released in 2017 provide insights on listed equity incorporation, listed equity active ownership practices, and fixed income [LINK – 2017 FI]. The data can be manipulated to show differences between geography, signatory size and type – providing a wealth of information about past asset owner investment practices.