Climate Action 100+ (CA100+) is an investor-led initiative to ensure the world’s largest corporate greenhouse gas emitters take necessary action on climate change.
Launched at the end of 2017, the initiative is coordinated by five investor networks: Asia Investor Group on Climate Change (AIGCC); Ceres; Investor Group on Climate Change (IGCC); Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC); and Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI).
The aim is to coordinate engagement activities and unify messaging of dialogue with more than 160 of the world’s most systemically important carbon emitters.
Investors participating in Climate Action 100+ are seeking the following commitments from boards and senior management, bucketed into three high-level goals:
- Governance: implement a strong governance framework which clearly articulates the board’s accountability and oversight of climate change risk.
- Disclosure: provide enhanced corporate disclosure in line with the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) recommendations.
- Action: take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across their value chain, consistent with the Paris Agreement’s goal of limiting global average temperature increase to well below 2 degrees above pre-industrial levels, aiming for 1.5 degrees. Notably, this implies the need to move towards net-zero emissions by 2050 are sooner.
Engagement with companies are coordinated via five regional working groups, reporting to the global initiative on a periodic basis:
- AIGCC-PRI Asia Engagement Group – 33 companies
- Ceres North America Engagement Group – 33 companies
- IGCC Australasia Engagement Group – 15 companies
- IIGCC European Engagement Group – 46 companies
- PRI Global Engagement Group – 42 companies
In addition the coordinating investor-company engagement, CA100+ undertakes the following global strategic projects:
- Net-Zero Company Benchmark – helps investor signatories to evaluate company ambition in tackling climate change and inform engagement priorities.
- Global Sector Strategies – workstream to accelerate sectoral decarbonisation by identifying key sector-specific actions for companies, investor and industries overall.
- Proxy Season Flagging - key shareholder proposals and other votes for investors to take into consideration ahead of relevant AGMs.
For more information or to find out about getting involved, please visit: https://www.climateaction100.org/